Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Turkey Day

Thanksgiving for me was always my favorite holliday. Used to be that I would see my family more often... this of course was when I lived at home... and before I got married....
You see, every year since I can remember, we spent Thanksgiving together. In the AM we would all gather at Sabino Canyon. I have been told that you used to be able to drive to our picnic site, but I can't remember it. Family would show up and we would make a nice fire and cook up some eggs and sausage and bacon over the fire and a nice pot of cowboy coffee. Mom always made goodies like cinnamon rolls and such. After eating, the kids would go off exploring and most often times end up wet.
Then we would all hike back out and head to my parent's house to hang out. Often times we would play madden or actually go out and play street football. It was always a good day of relaxing.
As time moved on, more and more of the family couldn't walk the distance into the canyon and the tram ride was getting to be too much, so we tried other places for a few years. First there was Fort Lowell Park... that sucked as there was just too many people there and the tables sucked. Next was Agua Callente park. This was good for the first year, but the next year it was closed and we had to duck under fencing to get in, and the older folks didn't like that. About 2 years ago we tried Udall Park and that seems to work out just right. You can reserve the Ramada ahead of time and parking and all that is right there. Horseshoe pit and volleyball court is right there and the playground isn't too far away either. So it works out just right.
Dinner has changed over the years as well. The best however are always at my Mom's house... which is where it always shall be from now on. We tried my grandparent's house... which was nice... but just wasn't the same... plus my grandma never coooks so the appliances didn't work as planned ever. One year we tried my uncle's house... that SUCKED! So now it's always at my parent's house...
Ever since my brother got married however and my cousins a little older... and now me getting married... the group dynamic has changed. Most of us guys choose to go to our signifigant other's places for dinner so dinner with Mom's cooking is out. This saddens me a bit as I know exactly what will be at dinner every year and what I can and cannot eat. I have an allergy to mushrooms and you would be surprised what some people put in their stuffing, green beans, and gravy... Plus, it's just not mom's cooking.
So this used to be my favorite holliday... it was better than Christmas for me... but lately... not so much... although Christmas just isn't the same either... mostly because my "Bah Hum Bug" Pappa-D isn't here anymore... but that's another story...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home