Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Kill all the old people who don't want to change.

Okay... so I work at this place and we have two "old" dudes who work here. They are totally unwilling to change. The phrase from Wayne's world keeps running through my head "Change, We fear change".
Anyway... we have one dude (Walt) who puts up road blocks to anything related to the network because he's a telcom guy and if things change then he's out of a job. So he spends his days gathering his troops to ensure that the network stays leashed.
Then there's Ric. He works right next to me in the next cubical over. He doesn't like change at all. Everything is "no" to him. He could work for the Capital One company doing their commercials. Today we got our IP phone installed. So that we can start to get used to them before they cut over our "old" ISDN phones. Note, I said ISDN phones. So we are not talking the POTS(Plain Old Telephone System) phones that you find in most homes. I would consider the POTS phones the reliable system and anything else pretty much prone to service outage. However Ric feels that his ISDN phone is the only phone he should have and so he fears the IP phone. In fact he would often say to the IP phone group, "When are you going to install the IP phone at my desk, so that I know the day that phone will stop working". So needless to say he has no faith in them.
I've worked in call centers and I know that IP phones are fine. They work just as well as any other phone service, if they are set up correctly. Anyway... ric sits down today after the IP phone was installed and says "Oh, good! I still have a working phone on my desk". What a fucker. Just kill them... or at least fire them and put them in a nice soft padded room that doesn't change.

Oh and my wife's sister, her soon to be husband and her brother are in town (well, her brother left this morning) so I'm not going to be able to update for a little while as I'm taking "vacation" time. I'll post all the things that happened next week :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home