Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Popcorn Flicks

This morning I got a bright idea to look up what the phrase "popcorn flick" meant and/or find out where it came from. Seems that everyone uses the phrase, but no one cares to define it. After much seaching I found this on UrbanDictionary.com

Popcorn Movie
1. popcorn movie
a summer action flick, not monumental, a good waste of time
Van Helsing was such a popcorn movie.
Source: Mandy, May 21, 2004

I guess Mandy is the only one willing to define her world.

The whole reason why I wanted to look up the phrase was to help me describe the "American movie audience". Apparently Hollywood thinks that all of American prefers to watch popcorn flicks. This can be evidenced by the sheer amount of money that popcorn flicks make. For example Spiderman 1 & 2. Independence Day... etc. However, once in awhile a director/writer "takes on a new direction" and makes a quality film that people actually have to use a brain cell or two watch. It's actually refreshing. I don't mind the occasional Dinosaur movie, it's fun to watch what special effects people can come up with these days. However, I would like to think that the "American movie audience" is not just about the popcorn flick.
Warning: May Contain Spoilers
Last night I watched The Grudge since it came out on DVD yesterday. Now mind you I have not watched the Japanese version of this yet. However I am impressed that they got the same director to do both movies. Anyway. The movie was non-linear, which is not all that uncommon these days. (Thanks Tarantino and Lost) However this film did it in such a way that I was impressed by it. There are some establishing shots of two deaths and then they move on to the "main" character. We follow Buffy, I mean Sarah's, character as she is being placed into this horror story. They establish some things and scare the shit out of her and then just jump into the past. There was no subtitle shown on the bottom of the screen "telling" us that we are now no longer in the "present" time. They just allow the characters and the story tell the scene. The movie actually assumes that you can remember what you saw and that you can figure out for yourself what was going on. This is rare for an "American" film to do. Many times American films assume you are dumb as the woman who seems to follow me to movies every time I go. "Wait, why is he killing her? I don't get it" or "You mean the boat sinks?"
They tend to play to the lowest common denominator. It doesn't seem to matter that most of the public would like to be treated like an adult, they play to the stupid ones. Which seems to work considering that people go in droves to pay for popcorn flicks. American Horror flicks are also way to over done and over played.
Here's how one would play out:
Gory scene where we show you the monster or the "horror" of it all.
Next we show you the protagonist of the film or group of them or whatever.
Next we put them into the horrible situation.
Next we establish some rules.
Next we explain the curse or monster.
Next we throw them into a chase scene.
All is lost. The hero(es) find a clue to how to "solve" this problem. They fix the horror, or they are set free from the curse or whatever... the jist that they don't have to worry about the problem anymore.

The Grudge doesn't do that. They just jump into the thick of things and don't let you off the hook. By the end of the film you have followed Buffy, I mean Sarah, though her discovery of how things got to be where they were and then don't let her off the hook. There was not solving of the problem. Once you Entered the house, you're doomed. No getting out of it, your fucked.

"I just spoke to God and he says I'm getting out of this, but he's pretty sure you're fucked"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was impressed by the fact that The Grudge didn't waste time explaining too much to the audience what they already know. They let the story and the characters actually tell the story. No need for the dumb person to ask the obvious question. I mean there was one scene which kinda resembled it, where Buffy, I mean Sarah, goes and talks to the Detective who explains why the house is they way it is. But it doesn't go as far as explaining how to get rid of it. He basically tells her that she SOL.

In the end, we see that she really is just Fucked.

I was impressed. My wife was scared shitless. So I guess it was a good flick :)

Paul's Ponderance
How can I "drink by the date" on the bottom of the can if there is no opening there?

I saw you today
Little white stream that brings that extra joy that I didn't know I'd miss so much. How is it that you are turned on by such monkeys? Why can't your owners send a better Moses to tap on the rocks three times? Oh how I missed your ever flowing waters of information.

Links of the day
Cool GTI Commercial - Boy I love singin' in the rain
Play time - Wack the dead
Millennium Falcon Xbox- Boy I wish I had that much time to do things like that
US Hostage appears to be a toy- Leave Iraq or we kill GI Joe!
Foxtrot - End of line
Planet of the Apes 4 - Again... to much time on their hands
Truly Evil pc2700 512 Meg DDR RAM - Like the fru its of the Dev il
Gonzo Stunt game - Another time waster
Brain fart - Hehe
Fake Windows features - Again.... too much time... damn why don't I have that time?
Dog Judo

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, February 02, 2005, Blogger Joe said...

You saw: a cable

 
At 12:56 PM, February 02, 2005, Blogger Tater said...

Damn you're smooth. Yep... pretty easy this time around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home